Tuesday, December 11, 2012

My Top 5 Movie Trailers of 2012

So after much consideration and many HOURS of watching movie trailers and comparing them to one another, I have finally narrowed them down to the top 5 of the year, in my humble opinion. Please keep in mind that I rated the trailers and not the movies. Also, I have not actually seen most the movies whose trailers I watched. And just because I rated the trailer does mean I actually have any desire ...
to watch the movie. I tried to be as unbiased as possible and did not place any movie above any other just because of genre or actors involved. I have also included the links to the videos that I used to judge. If you start watching the trailer, you have to watch the whole thing to see how it builds and the visual and musical elements combine to bring it together. So, dum dum dum, here we go.

#5
Safe House
http://youtu.be/-L2CO75ZrdE

This trailer did what any trailer should do when showcasing a movie that features big name veteran actors. The trailer allows Ryan Reynolds and Denzel Washington to shine and portray their characters very well. I haven't even seen the movie, but by watching the trailer I already know and have a connection with the characters. So for that, it gets number 5.

#4
The Great Gatsby
http://youtu.be/NhxqUxrC6KE

I thought this trailer did a great job recreating a literary masterpiece. The soundtrack, visual effects, and tension from the story builds and really makes this a great trailer. Just by looking at the trailer, it seems like the 1920's/1930's feel will be pretty legitimate. I hope the film follows through with the bar the trailer set, if so this should be a good movie. Gets number 4 on my list.

#3
The Perks of Being a Wallflower
http://youtu.be/aog8680PVmU

Now, first off, the title instantly turned me away. I mean like instantly. But after seeing the trailer a few times here and there on T.V., I actually began to think that the movie didn't look as horrible as the name suggests; I still didn't want to go see it mind you. The trailer actually did a pretty good job of seeming “real” to me. Also, like most trailers, the choice of song at the end really added a whole lot. The choice of lines and placement of said lines also really got the feel for this film in the right spot with me. I actually almost felt sorry for the kid at the beginning and almost felt happy for him at the end of it. Now my wife actually ended up dragging me kicking and screaming to see this movie, and I hate to admit this.....but this movie was actually great. The story was well-written, and there is no way anyone on the planet could see the twist towards the end coming. So for keeping it real and pulling me in, this trailer gets number 3.

#2
007 Skyfall
http://youtu.be/6kw1UVovByw

Regardless of if you like the James Bond series or not, this trailer is superb. The trailer literally paints a picture of the whole two and a half hour movie and condenses it into two and a half minutes. You can almost know exactly what is going to happen in the movie, every plot twist is basically played out in the trailer in some general form or another. Most people would lose interest after seeing such a revealing trailer, but somehow the trailer makes you want to see the movie anyway! It leaves just enough showing to make you want to go to the theater and see all the plot development that is so well covered in the trailer. So for showing me a the whole James Bond flick in two and a half minutes for free, and somehow still making me want to drive an hour and pay ten bucks to see it again, only two and a half hours longer, Bond gets number 2. Shaken, not stirred.

#1
The Words
http://youtu.be/gjmrDDD9o_k

This trailer was dare I say perfect. It has everything you need: interesting plot, authentic setting and characterization, excellent choice of song at the end, and just enough revealing of the plot to draw you in. The tension created using parts of the script kept building until the music hit its high point and the trailer did that cool thing where it showed the story from the past matching the present day story. It gave me chills! Seeing this trailer made me want to go out and immediately see what I thought was going to be one the best films of the year. I was dead wrong. Biggest letdown of my life. The story was nothing like the trailer and left me feeling so disappointed. But where the film loses, the trailer wins. This trailer shows the true nature of hollywood. They took a crap film and turned it into an amazing trailer so I would go pay money to see what otherwise I would have never wasted my time or money on! The trailer tricked me, and for that it gets number 1. I couldn't have made a better trailer, but a third grader could have made a better movie.

Do you like my choices? Do want to know where your favorite movies ended up being crossed off my list? Let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment