Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Bye-Bye Paula

I'm beginning to be troubled by some of the trends that are appearing in our society; trends that, I believe, are a result of the plague of political correctness that is sweeping our country as of late.

By now most of you have heard of the fiasco involving Paula Deen.
Ms. Deen is being sued by the former manager of a restaraunt that was owned by Ms. Deen and her brother.
The plantiff alleges that Ms. Deen used the "N" word and that her brother used it frequently and also committed some form of sexual harassment.
And even though the main issue in this case is Deen's brother, Paula Deen has taken all of the flak.
I just finished reading Paula Deen's 142 page deposition and 98% of her deposition had nothing to do with her language. The main focus of this case is the brother.

But our good friends in the media have BLOWN this case way out of proportion. They have made the whole focus of this case Paula Deen's use of the "N" word 30 years ago........

Yes you read that correctly, she said it 30 years ago.

And as a consequence, she has lost every major endorsement she had.
Her products have been dropped by Walmart, Sears, and Target just to name a few.

I personally think that is ridiculous in every sense of the word.
But at the same time I almost expected that.
In our politically correct, offend no one culture, it would make sense for some people to freak out.
After all, anyone who said something offensive like that would be crucified. Right?
Right?

Wrong....

"i'd put my foot up your f****** a**, George Stark, but I'm sure you'd dig it too much,"

"I'm gonna find you George Stark, you toxic little queen, and I'm gonna f*** you... up."

These were comments made by actor and Capitol One spokesman Alec Baldwin to a gay reporter that claimed Baldwin's wife was tweeting during a funeral.

But despite Baldwin's violent and homophobic rant, nothing has happened to him.

And most likely nothing will.

You would think that with homosexuality being at the forefront of recent national coverage with DOMA and all that, that Baldwin's comments would have sparked outrage.

But Baldwin is an outspoken liberal, so the same rules don't apply.
Paula deen says the "N" word 30 years ago and loses her career, but Alec Baldwin can make violent threats and anti-gay slurs today and nothing happens.

The double-standard sickens me.

I know my moderate conservative views put me in the minority among alot of my friends, and I'm fine with that, after all I didn't sign on to be a conservative because I wanted to be popular. I believe what I believe because I feel it's right. And up until now I've always felt no worries when sharing my views, because I knew that common sense would prevail and that people would judge my comments by the same standards that everyone else was judged.
But it seems that's not so.

The lack of equal retaliation is appalling.


I was going to discuss the double-standard around the "N" word as well, but decided it deserves its own post considering the amount of conflict it may cause since so many people have different views on the subject.

Let me know what you think about Paula Deen and whether she's getting what she deserves or if this is all just PC crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment